According to the actor’s attorney, Alec Baldwin has resolved a lawsuit brought by the family of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins who died while working on his film “Rust.”
In the Oct. 21, 2021, incident in New Mexico, Hutchins, 42, was shot dead and director Joel Souza, then 48, was wounded when a live round fired from a gun held by Baldwin, who shares screen and producer credits on the halted film.
In February, the family of the cinematographer filed a lawsuit against Baldwin and other people connected to the movie, charging that their careless actions and cost-cutting efforts were to blame for the tragedy.
Baldwin’s lawyer Luke Nikas stated in a statement that “throughout this challenging process, everyone has maintained the specific goal to do what is best for Halyna’s son.
“We are grateful to everyone who helped bring this unfortunate and upsetting situation to a close.
The settlement’s terms were kept confidential.
In January, the Western’s production is anticipated to resume.
However, any civil agreement wouldn’t stop prosecutors from pursuing charges against anyone who might have been criminally liable for Hutchins’ death.
The state’s Board of Finance earlier this month approved a special $317,000 budget allocation to the First Judicial District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies’ office for a potential “Rust” case.
Baldwin has said that he did not fire the fatal shot that sent shockwaves across Hollywood and sparked questions about the presence of weapons on set.
Well, no one pulled the trigger. I refrained from firing the gun, he told ABC News last year. Never in a million years would I point a pistol at someone and fire. Never.
The incident that happened at Bonanza Creek Ranch in Santa Fe County about a year ago is still under investigation.
For updates on this developing story, please come back later.